Version 0.63, released 2006-01-31
ShowOff is a screen saver for MacOS X. Its primary function is to display
your current uptime (how long your mac has been turned on), which is good
for impressing your Windows using friends.
Over the time ShowOff has been extended to display
- The current time and date
- Users currently logged onto your system
- The system load
- Your best uptime
- A user defined text
If you see yourself multiple times in the userlist that's just Mac OS X
doing it's unix thing. It's perfectly normal, especially if you use
Minimum system requirements are Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) or later.
Suggestions for improvements are more than welcome.
ShowOff is freeware and costs you nothing. If you like it, a donation would be very appreciated :)
Download ShowOff 0.63 (Universal Binary)
- Recompiled as Universal Binary - will run on both PowerPC and Intel Macs.
- Fixed the missing linebreak again. Testing really is necessary! :)
- Fixed a bug that would only save the uptime record when it was shown [thanks to Mike Calmus]
- Fixed missing linebreak when showing the system load
- Floating text display.
- User defined text.
- Fading text.
You can alter the speed if you open the Terminal and write
defaults -currentHost write com.jokkedk.ShowOff fadeAlphaValue x
where x is a decimal number between 0.0 and 1.0. A value of 0 leaves the text forever and 1 is the same as turning the option off. Default is 0.8
- Time and date is finally shown correctly formated.
- Tool tips :)
- Preview is now scaled to look better in System Preferences.
- Default preferences set. New users will actually get something on first run.
- All text is now localizable.
- You can change the text by altering Localizable.strings
- Changed the system polling method to avoid delay when network connection is unstable (calls
uptime instead of
w when users are not shown)
- Reorganized the code for better clarity - and less bugs.
- Reimplemented the method for tracking the uptime record.
- You can reset your uptime record if you like. (or if it still set wrong sometimes)
- Takes into account that Panther has different formatting of uptime from Jaguar. (It reports hours as 'hrs' instead of 'hours')
- Works on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. It's amazing it ever worked at all before :) Thanks for the emails!
- ShowOff finally saves your best uptime. Somewhat experimental as of now. Let me know if it crashes :)
- New layout of the preferences using some of the new GUI features of Panther. Unfortunately these changes mean it won't work on pre 10.2 systems. You should upgrade anyway, it's worth it :)
- Now shows who is logged in instead of just their count.
- Optional display of uptime, allowing for time-only or even black screen mode.
- More fonts.
- Random font size (between 10 and 92 point).
- Fixed a bug causing ShowOff to always display number of users - thanks to Kenneth MacArthur.
- Cleanup in code.
- Re-implemented display of users logged in :) - thanks sjonke.
- Corrected a bug when showing all info at once.
- More optimization :)
- Custom font-face.
- Custom font-size.
- Random colors.
- Optional display of system load averages.
- Optional display of current date and time.
- Uptime is cleaner, not showing # of users.
- Optimized code.
- Added delay-slider, controls how often the uptime is updated.
- Added customizable text color.
- First public version.
- Correctly displays the uptime, without extra text.