9th January, 2006
I finally got around to installing my experimental CAPTCHA solution using no graphics. Time will tell how well it performs on this low-traffic website. I hope it will bring down the +20 formbot hits I get every day.
I am aware of the serious limitations of this concept in any critical application as it would be rather easy to create a program to interpret the asterisks. A different solution might use colored tablecells to create the impression of letters, somewhat obfuscating the code but it graphics really is needed to do serious blocking.
Let me know how it works for the real people reading this and if things should get messy, my email is at the bottom of the page.
UPDATE: There was actually a problem with processing the form, preventing any comments from being accepted. I've fixed that now as illustrated below.